Adding the missing F-Zero AX music to GX

Game Hacks, Trainers, Cheats

Moderator: Ralf@gc-forever

AntonioRyuki

Adding the missing F-Zero AX music to GX

Post by AntonioRyuki » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:08 am

Hi there! It's no secret that you can use RAM hacking to play a hidden version of F-Zero AX in GX, although there are a few missing features, such as no music in the Pilot Points menu.
Well, I've just found out that even if the music files were removed from GX, the game does actually try to play them, in fact they are played if you rip them off an actual AX ISO and add them to the GX ISO.
Here's how you do it.

You will need the following things:
-GCRebuilder 1.1
-An F-Zero GX ISO
-An F-Zero AX ISO.

First, you need to open GCRebuilder. Click the Image tab and click Open, then open your GX ISO. Extract all data from the ISO into a folder by left clicking "root" then clicking Export.
Now click the Image tab and click Close.
Open up your AX ISO the same way you opened your GX ISO. Go to the snd\adx_bgm directory, then extract the following files (you can also put other files in, but I don't think the game will actually use them):
-openflag.adx
-point.adx
-tutorial.adx
Put them in the snd\adx_bgm directory in the GX files you've just extracted.
Close the AX ISO.
Click the Options tab, then click "Do not use 'game.toc'". This will allow the GCRebuilder to detect the files you've just added.
Click the Root tab, then click "Open" and choose the root of your extracted GX files with the new music added.
Finally, click again the Root tab and click "Save" to determine the filename of your newly made ISO and its directory, then click the Root tab for the last time and click "Rebuild".

Enjoy the game. The "point.adx" song will be used in the Pilot Points screen, the "openflag.adx" song will be used in the Memory Card unlock screen and the "tutorial.adx" song will be used in the F-Zero License Card explanation screen in the Attract mode.
Papy.G

Re: Adding the missing F-Zero AX music to GX

Post by Papy.G » Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:44 pm

Thank you for this, I was wanting to use GC rebuilder to mod Zelda Collector, but Windows (XP pro SP2) tells me it is not a valid win32 app, does it need a DLL, or is this version only 64bit compatible?
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD
DOL001(EUR)/RGB/GCPlug/GBP/SD2SP2, RVL 001(EUR)/RGB/CMP/WiiSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)
AntonioRyuki

Post by AntonioRyuki » Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:53 pm

It works fine without additional DLLs on my Windows 10 64-bit PC.
AntonioRyuki

Post by AntonioRyuki » Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:18 pm

Oh, I think I figured out why it doesn't work on you. It requires at least Microsoft .NET Framework v.4.5.2 or newer to work.
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:42 pm

Ok, so I downloaded the offline .net 4.5.2 on a page that supposed that it works with XP (M$ official site, yes), then, it wanted me to install the Windows installer 3.1, that I downloaded and installed, then, it asked for WIC, that I installed, then, it was still stuck, and seeking more information on another page on M$ site, it appeared that the last .NET able to run on XP was the v.4. :roll:
Why the installer wasn't even able to tell me that at first? :evil:

Thank you for your help, anyway. ;)
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)
AntonioRyuki

Post by AntonioRyuki » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:30 pm

Welcome. I hope you can try rebuilding an ISO with a more recent OS.
Aleron Ives

Post by Aleron Ives » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:33 pm

IIRC .NET 4.0 was the last one to run on XP, or maybe it was 3.5. So far, I haven't been able to get GCR to run in WINE, either. You'll need to spin up a Windows 7 VM.
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:15 am

Yes, that's just I had given away my former fanless (and headless) PC as I have found an SBC to do its job, but untill it is up and running, I didn't want to update my VM and BC partitions. I may end up with a "Hackindows" with W10 on the BC partition, as Apple left me on the side of the road for so long :evil: and my outdated system is cranking here and there.

AntonioRyuki

Post by AntonioRyuki » Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:51 am

By the way, I've found out why there's no way to bring up the "how to drive" tutorial from the AX attract mode in GX. AX has an "operation" directory with some .bin files in it, as well as an "fz.operation.rel" file in the root of the ISO. It looks like these files are needed for it to work, but unfortunately those .rel files from AX don't seem to work with GX.